7/14/2005

Potter v. the Pope

Catholics, be forewarned, this will not be well received by you all...

So today the Pope reiterated his attacks on Harry Potter, saying that it's evil, and that it "distorts Christianity within the soul." I know this isn't anything new, but today I decided I wanted to find a detailed statement from the Vatican, from the church, from someone so I could see what their particular beef was with HP. What did I find after extensive searching on the Internet? Nothing. If you want to call something evil or demonic, I would generally advise you to back up what you're saying with concrete examples and evidence. But since they apparently don't have any of that, they're stuck just staying that it distorts beliefs. I'm not really sure how, the only Christian reference that comes to my mind in the past five Harry Potter books is Christmas, where all they really talk about is presents and good food for the holidays. SO then I think, what are the odds the Pope has actually read Harry Potter? And not just the first book, but at least the first three, because again, were I making the argument, I would make sure I knew the material well enough to explain my points. This kind of thing drives me crazy. And NOW, little Catholic children all over the world will be forced to burn their Harry Potter books by their non-thinking parents who don't see the Pope for what he is, a man, with opinions and interpretations of Harry Potter and the Bible that aren't more valid than anyone else's, well actually, he's probably read the Bible at least. I'll spare the world my thoughts about the Catholic church, but this is soo ridiculous. There might be a part two to this post if I ever find any more information about specific complaints.

No comments: